Family 2015

Family 2015

Monday, August 29, 2011

The VMA's and why Moms (and Dads) are so important.

So, me and the kids watched the VMA's last night.  What?  Not great for family consumption in your opinion?  Well, I (sort of) disagree. 

I'm just going to assume for the sake of time that you either watched it or have been apprised of what went down.  I actually thought Lady Gaga was kinda funny - cussing aside - and though she  pushes the envelope (or just rips it up), she is quite a talent.  Justin Bieber was cute.  Brittany got a well-deserved award for her video making prowess, and seems to have found a measure of class along the way.  Katy Perry wore a cheese wedge on her head.  Chris Brown performed and, based on the response of the crowd, proved that amazing talent doesn't overrule the need for common decency.  It was predictably edgy, with each performer trying to earn marks for originality or awesomeness or just trying desperately to stand out in some way.

I think watching stuff like this is a great lesson for my kids, not in pop culture, but in reality.  They knew of Brittany in her younger days, and have seen her ups and downs.  They think Lady Gaga is kinda cool, but one of them wisely remarked that she has to keep coming up with more and more outrageous things to keep the media's attention. My girls are keeping a keen eye on Justin to see if all his Jesus talk is for real or if he's gonna pull a Miley Cyrus on us.  They all sighed disgustedly and Reagan left the room when Chris Brown took the stage. 

I actually said relatively little as we watched it and just listened to them.  I was proud.  Proud that at their young ages they already get that that is a fake world.  Sure, it's entertaining.  But, just because someone is standing on that stage doesn't mean that what they say is right. Just because someone has millions of dollars and a gaggle of fans doesn't mean they're happy.  Even when a girl is famous, we know she's insecure and has no self-respect when she puts her junk on display.  I was proud that they were saying all of those things amongst themselves without me directing the conversation.

In our minds, my husband and I think that while our kids live at home is the perfect time for them to test things out, to be exposed to things, to learn to critically think about the culture they live in, and to decide their stances on issues.  There are MOST DEFINITELY things in our culture that I hope they stay away from, but I want them staying away from them because they have figured out that there are more worthwhile things to do, not because they are so sheltered they don't even know those options exist.

I fully expect my kids to get "scraped knees" while they are navigating these growing up years.  Growing up is tough!  I really want to still be available with my "band aids", and not hundreds of miles away, when they do fall down.

1 comment:

  1. I think I will have to bookmark this one and read it once a year as my boys grow.. thank you for the mind-opening reminders.
    ~Melissa

    ReplyDelete