Family 2015

Family 2015

Sunday, November 13, 2011

Walking Away.

Yep, it's Sunday.  But, when I have something to say, I just have to get it out.  So, nevermind about blogging every weekday, I'm just gonna do it when I do it.  :)

Have you ever had a relationship in your life that you just couldn't fix?  You just couldn't make someone see things your way?  You just couldn't get everyone on the same page?  I'm laughing, because, of course you have.  The better question would probably be how many times have you been in that situation.

I think those situations must face us all of our lives, and probably the only thing that changes is how we react to them.  When I was younger, I just couldn't deal with it.  I needed to make everyone in my life ok with me and my choices.  If someone I loved or respected disagreed with me, I reasoned, I must somehow be in the wrong.  Since that was usually not an acceptable option, I would assume they just didn't understand.  Then, I would start down the long and (usually) unfruitful road of trying to make them see it my way.

But, now that I'm (a little) older, I feel differently about it.  I have made peace with the fact that sometimes people are going to disagree with me and it doesn't mean they're wrong.  It also doesn't mean that I'm wrong.  It just means that we're different.  It means that we have different personalities, different backgrounds, and different things that have shaped who we are as people.  There are very few absolutes in life, which would have sounded absolutely heretical to me 10 short years ago.  But, no matter, I've grown up a little and it's true.

So, for me, the best thing to do when I come up against an impasse like this with someone is just to walk away.  Now, that sounds pretty harsh, but I don't mean like walk away and never talk to them again.  I just mean, leave it alone.  Stop having that conversation with them.  Stop allowing myself to be made to feel like I'm wrong or incorrect.  And, yes, I suppose if the only way to do that is to cut ties for a season, then so be it.

I don't always have all the answers - in fact I probably never do - but, I am comfortable with who I am.  I know that the work God has begun in me, He is completing.  And that is enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment