Family 2015

Family 2015

Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Eating the Elephant.

You know the phrase, "The proper way to eat an elephant is one bite at a time."  I get that and I think it's a good analogy of life.  Usually.  But, this statement does not adequately address what to do when the elephant sits on your head.

I am generally pretty good about not letting myself get overwhelmed.  I've got a pretty good grasp of "not sweating the small stuff" and "rolling with the punches."  I don't "cry over spilled milk" and I don't generally get "all wigged out."

But today was different.  Since being all stressed out isn't my norm, whenever it happens I try to figure out why.

This is what I decided.  Today everything looks like a really big deal because I didn't get enough sleep.
1.  I went to bed waaaayyyy too late.  (totally my fault)
2.  I was forced out of what little sleep I got several times by a sick child.  (totally not my fault)

So now I know why I woke up feeling like everything in the world had to be accomplished today and I had to be the one to do it.  That the whole house needed to be totally cleaned.  Right now.  That all of the Christmas shopping had to be done in the next 24 hours.  That all of my kids needed some quality time and would suffer if they didn't receive it today.  That today, my family needed to eat a gourmet meal.

You see because when I am overly tired, I have all of these grand expectations of myself AND I feel overwhelmed.  Great combo.

But, I feel much better now that I figured it out.  I have found the problem.  And I'm going to fix it by taking a nap and feeding my family an already prepared rotisserie chicken for dinner.

The End.

2 comments: