Family 2015

Family 2015

Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Christmas - what it is and what it aint.

I really, really, really, really, really, really love Christmas!!  It is such a wonderful family time, great memories and fun activities.  A time to reflect on all that the past year has been and think about the future.  A time to be grateful, to remember the reason for the season.  To worship.  A time to give and reach out to others.

Also, it is a lot of work.

I rarely get sick, but it seems that during the season of "Christmas preparation" I usually fall prey to a nasty head cold or what have you.  Today is that day and this is the first time I have ventured off the couch.  I figured since I am being forced to slow down a little, I should take advantage of it and chat with you all.  :)

This whole situation of getting sick around the holidays always gets me to thinking.  Have I fallen into the trap of commercializing Christmas?  Surely if I'm so busy that I am run down and get sick, I must be losing focus of what's really important during this time.

Here's the thing though, I haven't.  I know what Christmas is really about.  I do.  But, I also have 5 kids and the responsibility/privilege of creating wonderful holidays and memories for them.  When you add that in to all that I'm already doing, it can get pretty overwhelming, and I get pretty worn out.

We have had some slim Christmases in terms of $ and some that weren't so slim.  Even when we have some extra, I don't go crazy with the buying because I want my kids to know that it's about more than that.  But, even in the years when we didn't have much, I was still very busy.

So, I guess I just need to accept it.  Holidays are extra work and that's all there is to it.  I will love it and not feel guilty for being busy.  I will not listen to the folks who get all worked up about how presents take away from the real reason for the season.  And next year, I will start in early December to take extra vitamin C.

No comments:

Post a Comment