Family 2015

Family 2015

Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Back... with a Bang!

*Disclaimer*  Although the point of this blog is not to proselytize, I'm sure most of you have picked up on the fact that I am a Christian.  I try to keep my blogs mostly neutral in that regard, but the fact of the matter is that often the things that float through my brain have to do with my faith in one way or another.  I had some really wonderful "think" time over Christmas break and have a topic I want to talk about that is Christian in nature.  So, for those of you who do not claim to be Christian or religious, what follows may be boring, irrelevant or offensive to you.  It is meant to be none of those, and you are certainly welcome to read on; just consider yourself warned.  ;)

So, here goes.

Why is Christianity so offensive to people who don't follow it?  I seem to notice this more and more the older I get.  This following scenario is a perfect example of what I'm talking about.

I can't count the number of times that some "big name" in Christian circles has been pinned down by someone in the media to answer the question, "So, you believe that if people don't believe in Jesus they go to hell??!"  It's like they just can't wait for him to answer "yes" so they can pounce on him.  They want to berate him for being "unaccepting", "intolerant" or a "religious fanatic."  All the talk becomes about how judgemental said person is and "who do they think they are" is slung about on people's lips.  (I'm not actually sure if "slung" is a word, but I like it.  And it's my blog.)

This reaction is truly fascinating to me.

Let's just say that I was having a conversation with someone of the Muslim faith.  I don't know a vast amount about the Muslim faith, but I do know that westerners, in general, are considered to be infidels.  I certainly don't have 70 virgins waiting for me when I die, know what I mean?  I'm not exactly sure what their belief is about the afterlife, but I know it isn't good for folks like me.  You know what?  I don't care that they think that.  You know why?  Because I don't believe it. 

Why then, do people who do not claim to be Christians and who do not profess faith in Christ care if someone thinks they are going to hell?   Why can they not just shake it off and forget it about like I can?  It is indeed perplexing and I have yet to have someone give me a good answer to it.

So, I thought I would throw it out there and see what all of you think.

Also, there is part 2 to this question and it has to do with the differences of conviction within the Christian faith itself.  But, I figured this was enough for today.

So, enlighten me, am I missing something?

Oh, and Happiest of New Years to all of you!!!!

2 comments:

  1. In a nutshell...My theory....note I said MY THEORY, is guilt. My theory is that every person is born with this homing beacon (if you will) that draws them to their creator. God. He gave it to us so we would look for and find Him. Those who do not respond feel the constant sense of lack, like something is missing. (This is also why I think people look for fulfillment in jobs, cars, other ppl, sports, etc. They are looking for something...that "thing"... that will complete/fulfill them. That "thing" is a relationship with their creator and nothing else will ever fill that place.)

    Presented with the truth of the Gospel, inside they know it is the answer but can't accept it and guilt arises and dealing with this inner turmoil causes anger that they quite naturally want to release upon the one evoking this turmoil. This is all subconscious and they don't realize what is driving them.

    There is a second reason...in my opinion. Humanism. Most people want to believe they are good and deserve a good end. When they are presented with this view that it is not them that will get them to that good place in the end, they get angry and, again, feel the natural need to vent that anger.

    ReplyDelete