Family 2015

Family 2015

Thursday, January 19, 2012

I Sometimes Wish it was 50 Years Ago....

I know it's common for the current generation to think that their parents had it easier than they did.  I'm also sure that that is usually not true.  However.  I think it might be true in terms of educating one's children.

Today is going to be kind of a rant...fair warning.

It seems kind of idyllic in my mind - the thought of simply being able to put one's children on the neighborhood school bus and send them down the road to a decent education.  To a community school where you know they will be taught what they need to know and their safety won't be at risk. 

My kids' education has been such a potpourri - homeschool, christian school, charter school, traditional public school.  Sheesh, it's exhausting.

One of my daughter's said to me the other day, "Mom, we are weird when it comes to school.  I mean, I have a lot of friends who just start at one school and stay there until they graduate.  Why don't we do that?"

Simple question.  Not so simple answer.

The truth is, I sometimes wish we could just do that.  But, I really, really, really, really want what is best for each of my kids and I just haven't found one school or one method of schooling that accomplishes that for all of them.  Every year, we have to re-evaluate and not one year, educationally speaking, has ever looked the same in this house.

On the one hand, I'm glad I have options.  On the other hand, I'm glad I have options, it's just that those options sure complicate my life.

June Cleaver just didn't know how good she had it.

No comments:

Post a Comment