Family 2015

Family 2015

Tuesday, February 21, 2012

A devil behind every bush

Have you noticed that people obsess about why things in their lives are the way that they are?  I have.  Also, I have been guilty of the same.  There must be an explanation, and if things are not going my way; there must be a reason and I must be able to fix it.  Right?  Um, no.

This is a tricky one for me sometimes because I certainly do believe that God is involved with mankind in gneral and with my life (and yours) specifically.  As a way of deflecting some arrows before they are launched let me tell you what I don't mean by that.  I don't mean that I think everything that happens on this earth is God's will - seriously, what kind of a crazy God would orchestrate all of the events that we see around us???  Men have free will.  Also, we live on this imperfect orb.  Sometimes things just happen.

Which brings me back to my original point.  I am starting to think, as I get older and hopefully wiser, that life is much more about how I react to things and much less about why they happen in the first place.  For example - should I waste my time wondering why the power went out and grousing about how unfair it is or should I just get busy and find some candles? 

This is a tricky one to pass onto kids.  I mean, am I not admitting that I'm just starting to get it?  Kids have their "it's not fair" and "why me" meters set on ultra-sensitive.  Everything that doesn't go their way is seen as a conspiracy.  I have argued and argued against this notion in my kids' brains, but many times my arguments fall on deaf ears as I can almost literally hear them thinking, "Yah, yah, but why ME?"

Well, Mihailoff children, be warned.  This conversation is not over.  "Why me?" is the wrong question, and I am making it my personal mission to replace that question in your brain with "what now?" 

'Why me' is reactive.  'What now' is proactive.  'Why me' is the question of a victim.  'What now' is the question of a leader.  'Why me' shows immaturity.  'What now' shows that we are growing.

Yep, "what now" is what I'm after.

No comments:

Post a Comment