Family 2015

Family 2015

Sunday, February 5, 2012

Well....

I assume you're expecting me to talk about that whole mess....and I probably will.  But, not tonight.  Tonight I am sick of talking about that whole mess and I'm just glad it's over.

Tonight, I would like to talk about something significantly less controversial. 

So, here goes.

I have been enjoying, all day, the sounds of my kids playing together.  We have church at 4:00, so our Sunday mornings are very relaxed.  We sleep in (hallelujah) and then my husband and I usually go out for coffee.  Many times, they are all sleeping when we leave the house, and when we return, they are up, enjoying their relaxing morning and waiting for donuts. :)

They watch a little t.v., but usually well before noon; the t.v. is off and they are playing together.  I just love to hear them concoct their imaginary tales.  I love to hear them laugh as they act them out.  I love that they can be satisfied with a bin of legos, some scraps of material and each other.  Love it.

There have been times when I have been frustrated that we haven't always been able to provide them with the latest and greatest in terms of technology.  But, you know what?  Now, I realize I'm glad that I couldn't.

Don't get me wrong.  I like to watch t.v. and I enjoy the computer.  But, I am so glad for the memories I have from being a kid - when there were 3 channels on the t.v. and no such thing as a computer.  I'm glad for the memories of having nothing to do for the whole day except read, play with friends, chase fireflies, roast marshmallows.  I'm glad that I learned how to be alone.  To think my own thoughts and figure out my world without the constant barrage of the media.

I'm glad my kids have that option too.  They are growing up into wonderful people.  And, yes, ever-evolving technology is a reality that they will live with; but I like to think that their memories of these sorts of days will stick with them and help them distinguish true relationships from social networking.  That these family times will be an anchor for their souls.

That they will never lose the ability to enjoy the simple.

No comments:

Post a Comment