Family 2015

Family 2015

Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Count Day.

I don't remember ever hearing about count day when I was a kid, do you?  But now, it is a BIG DEAL.  I mean, my kids were so excited to go to school this morning.  The older ones got to have a "wear whatever you want" day (GREAT incentive for older kids who usually have to wear uniforms) and the younger ones were promised a prize if they were in their seats when the first bell rang.

I, of course, understand why it is a big deal; the school's funding is based on their attendance on that one fateful day.

Which begs the question, "Whose awful idea is that anyway????"  Seriously, the amount of money my kid's school receives for the whole year is based on ONE day????  I have never claimed to be the sharpest knife in the drawer, but even I could come up with a better plan than that.

I'm not a government hater or anything, but sometimes I just wonder who really is behind the curtain down there in Washington.  I want to believe that there really are folks who are trying to do what is best for this country,and for the kids who will make up it's adult population in the near future.  And I honestly do believe that there are many good-hearted people who work in our government.  They probably scratch their heads about things like this as much as I do.  Their hands are probably tied, just like mine. 

But, I have an idea.  How about if we pick one day during the year and however many people show up for work that day will determine how much the people who hold public office get paid, or even whether or not they get paid period.  Sound like a plan?  That's what they do to our teachers, folks. 

Atleast I have the knowledge that I have done my part - all 5 of my kids are being counted today.   Hooray for big families!!!  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment