Family 2015

Family 2015

Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Vicarious Living.

You know what?  I love being a Mom.  :)

I remember being a young person, pre-marriage and parenthood, and thinking about how sad it was that parents seemed to live vicariously through their children.  Boy was a I a dummy.  Living vicariously has nothing to do with not living my own life.  It doesn't mean that I am all washed up and have nothing better to do than wish I was younger.  It has nothing to do with yearning for my "glory days."  I actually had to stop for a minute and laugh after I typed that last line - oh youth, they are funny - and misinformed.

No, the vicarious living I have discovered has everything to do with celebrating my children's growth.  With being able to feel the joy of accomplishments all over again, and feeling the sorrow too.  It is like round 2 of life, but with more understanding.  With greater capacity to be patient.  With the ability to see the forest in spite of the trees.

Oh, how I wish for the ability to pour all of the understanding that living has afforded me into the minds of my kids!!! 

But, I know I can't.  I know that they must grow through it just as I did.  I know that the mountains that they face right now will look like mole hills to them in 20 years.  I know they will at some point feel silly for some of the ways they acted and the things they did.  I know their reasoning skills and ability to cope will develop as their birthdays pass.  But, in the meantime, it's fun.  I love seeing them experience life and being able to be by their side as they do.

No comments:

Post a Comment