Family 2015

Family 2015

Thursday, September 8, 2011

Forgotten lunches and levity...

Holy first 3 days of school, Batman!!!  I'm not sure how I always forget how crazy the beginning of the year is, but I do.  Every dang year.  This would be the perfect time to say, "That's what you get for having 5 kids."  But, if you do I'll just pretend I don't hear you shouting through cyberspace...  ;)

During the summer months, I have all of these dreams of how this next school year, we will be on the ball.  Starting right out of the gate, everyone will have everything packed up the night before, clothes will always be freshly washed, we will bounce out of bed all cheery-like and be ready to saunter out the door 5 minutes ahead of schedule.  Yah, right.  Apparently, during the summer, I lose sight of the fact that we are people and not a clan of robots.

It used to plague me that I was not that kind of Mom that always has everything together at all times - I used to be sure that I was somehow setting a bad example by not doing all things June Cleaver.  But, I'm a little more relaxed now - well, save for the unrealistic back to school expectations - and I'm able to enjoy us the way we are.

I laughed at myself as the lunch guy at school today overheard me tell my 9 year old that if she ever forgot her lunch again I would knock her out - now, you know why I didn't blog this morning - because I didn't feel mortified by myself in the least.  That is just how we roll.  We have figured out that levity goes a long way towards preserving sanity, and I happen to think that it is better for her to hear a fake threat followed by a hug and laughter than for me to let that incident become so important that it ruins both of our days.

So, here's to hoping that things start rolling a little more smoothly for this school year...and also for hoping that we can keep laughing if they don't.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment